17 Little ways to annoy a Scandinavian person
1. Claim that Sweden, Norway and Denmark is all the same
Scandinavia is Denmark, Sweden and Norway. That’s it. Different countries, different languages, different cultures with some similarities. Finland is sometimes included, but officially, it’s not really Scandinavia.
And no, it’s not because we are small countries, either – you can fit the UK into Scandinavia about five times.
2. When you don’t remove your shoes before entering our house
Because we don’t like dirt being dragged all over the house. Except when there’s a party (although, please ask first and never wear heels on our nice wooden floors).
3. What? You don’t like COFFEE?
We drink more coffee than anyone else in the whole world.
We drink tons of it. Strong, delicious filter coffee. And we don’t understand why you can only have one cup a day when our veins are constantly pumping like a bad Basshunter tune.
4. Insist Danes are Dutch
Far, far away. Not even neighbours.
5. …and Swedes are Swiss
(wait, Switzerland is next to Norway, right?)
Switzerland is Central Europe. They speak 5 language, none of which are even close to Swedish. Nothing to do with ABBA or Volvo or blondes.
6. Enter into a discussion with us about mixer taps versus single taps.
We will win. Even if you fight it. There is no way you can win it.
And don’t start on the carpet in the bathroom…
7. Tell a Norwegian that KitKats are better than KvikkLunsj
This is such an important point, even though it only really affects Norway. KitKats are so not even close to Kvikklunsj.
8. Insist that Eurovision is crap, when we know that it clearly is one of the highlights of the year – alongside Christmas and Midsummer.
Without Eurovision, you’d have no songs to dance to at the office party. No Dancing Queen, no Mamma Mia, no Money Money Money. Don’t knock it.
9. Do you have polar bears in Oslo?
Yes, of course we do. And also roaming the streets of Copenhagen.
10. When you sing the Swedish Chef song from Muppets.
11. Well, you don’t LOOK Swedish/Norwegian/Danish…
I don’t? And you don’t look Welsh, either.
12. “You’re Swedish? I used to have a Danish girlfriend once…”
Wonderful. Read point one.
13. Schedule conference calls at 11 a.m. (our lunchtime)
We have lunch between 11 am and midday if you let us. We just do. Try not to interfere with our weirdness.
14. Ask us ‘How are you’ and don’t wait for our answer.
Because, trust us, we WILL answer. In great detail and we don’t understand how to read your polite British nods of evil as we explain about our dodgy knee.
15. Be late. We hate lateness. Be on time, every time.
16. You’re cold? But you’re Scandinavian!
Yes, and we feel cold. Just like you. Our veins are not made of ice, they are filled with hot Basshunter coffee, remember?
17. Scandinavian? Do you eat herring, like, all the time?
Every day, all the time, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Just kidding, we only eat herring for lunch.